Pages

Monday 6 January 2014

#1: Honey, soy & ginger pork chops

I received Dinner, A Love Story from a friend for my birthday last year, and have been enjoying both the writing and the recipes over the past few months. This recipe was inspired by one from the book, bourbon pork chops, which I had tried and loved. I made my variant of these sticky pork chops for my book club group on our debut meeting.

I like to marinade my meat in the bag it comes in. It's not fancy, but it keeps all the juices together, so I can simply tip the contents into a deep pan, cook the meat in the marinade-and-juices mixture, and then serve the sauce/gravy with the meal. Pro tip: don't leave that bag anywhere within reach of your puppy, as you'll spend a good ten minutes chasing her while she dances happily around the garden with the meaty-bag dangling out of her mouth. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Photo courtesy of my friend Rachel

Serves 4
5 mins preparation, 2-4 hours marinading, 20 mins cooking

Ingredients:
4 pork chops
4 large tablespoons of honey
2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
a generous dousing of soy sauce

Method:
Rub the honey and garlic into the chops, and place them in the marinading container. Pour plenty of soy sauce in, such that each chop is wet. Leave to marinade for 2 to 4 hours.

On the hob, put the meat and juices into a large, deep frying pan and cook, turning occasionally, on a low heat for twenty minutes or until cooked through (test with a skewer or sharp knife)

Serve with: 
Roast potatoes and salad.

-

I suppose in many regards this blog was inspired by the narrative of Dinner, A Love Story. The 52 dishes challenge that I've set myself for 2014 is an attempt to get back in the kitchen. I've definitely neglected meal times over the past year or so, and my poor husband has carried most of the load with regards cooking. I know that cooking daily isn't a realistic goal for me at the moment, but whipping something up each week, and maybe trying something new now and then - that's definitely a challenge, but one I could possibly attain.

Thus '52 dishes', one each week of 2014 - I'm not promising anything spectacular, but I'll be blogging each one here.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment