Pages

Sunday 16 March 2014

Eating out in Bondi Beach

Alongside my regular weekly recipe updates, I thought I might begin a highly irregular series of 'eating out in...' posts. Less of a 'where to eat' guide, but rather a 'where I ate' rundown. One of the perks of my current job is that sometimes I get to fly off somewhere new, and as a result, I get to try the local cuisine. Eating out is one of my favourite aspects about being away from home - it almost makes up for the time I have to spend away from my husband and dog - and I will happily spend an hour each day wandering between menu stands which line the streets, making the choice of where I'll park myself that evening.

I tend to eat in cafes. I have something of a homing device for finding spots with free wifi (particularly if I'm away for work), and I'm a big fan of sitting outside. I peer into a bustling cafe and check out what's on everyone's plates, and I love a good wine list.

So here's an overview of some of the places I ate during my time staying in Bondi Beach, Sydney.

Eating out in Bondi Beach | 52 Dishes

Dinner
I loved this small cafe situated under a dirty awning on Hall Street. It housed a simple drinks menu and a short list of dishes, but eating here twice I was really impressed. A slow roasted lamb and feta salad was probably my favourite meal of the trip. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable, and - I might be biased - but anywhere that doesn't shove you on the worst table just because you're eating alone always gets extra points from me!

A family-friendly pizzeria that turns into a nightclub halfway through your meal? Why not! Happy hour starts at 9.30pm until close. Dancing permitted.

For breakfast, brunch & lunch
A bookshop-cafe is probably my idea of heaven, throw in the 'lucky dip' book boxes and the divine toasted pear and raspberry bread, and this is a level beyond even that! As books go, they stock both new and secondhand books, and will also buy books off you. I sat here for a good few hours working my way through Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall with a cup of tea, and overheard at least three different groups discussing how amazing the halloumi salad was (I might have to book another trip to Sydney just to try it!). Icing on the cake: they're licensed. Need I say more?

The corn fritters stall at Bondi Farmer's Market is apparently something of a local favourite, and you're lucky if you don't have to queue for a good ten minutes before ordering up your breakfast. Served up with bacon, sausages and homemade relishes, they're worth every second you're in that queue! I got a plate of fritters on my last morning in Bondi - a lovely way to finish off my time there.

Le Paris Go Cafe
*cash only*
Apparently also great for dinner, this place is heaving at pretty much any hour of the day. It's worth squeezing in here for a cup of coffee or some french toast, although not ideal if you're in a hurry.

Coffee & drinks
Chapter One
Coffee by day, wine by night. If one venue ever summed up my life, it would be Chapter One. There are a few seats outside with a great view over the ocean for watching the sunset and the surf (or just the surfers). Inside its cosy - perfect for when the wind picks up. They also do breakfast and lunch.

The Living Room
Upstairs at the Corner House on Bondi Road. Great drinks list, fun bar staff and quirky furniture. What more could you ask for from a Sydney bar?

Things to note: lots of places in Bondi Beach seem to be cash only, and to make things worse, this is explained only in the small-print at the bottom of a menu. I had to leave one or two places after being seated for this reason as the ATM was the other end of the street - it's worth keeping an eye out for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment