Pages

Tuesday 4 February 2014

#5: Baked beans on, well, anything.

And just like that January was over. Seriously, I feel like this year might fly by rather quickly. I've been particularly busy with work this past month, which might account for why time has been moving so fast for me: that's the real meaning of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, or at least, that's how I choose to interpret it during particularly busy periods in my life.

As a result dinners have been slightly lazy. If you thought last week's salad was lazy, wait until you read this recipe! This is the quite probably the easiest recipe in the world, and most of the ingredients (and definitely all of the essential ones) can always be found in my cupboards. It’s lazy, and fast, and requires the minimum of forethought. Perfect.

I eat these beans on toast, on a jacket potato, as a side to pork or chicken, or – as I discovered this week – as the tastiest filling in a beef burger. The recipe below makes enough for 2 or 4, depending on what you’re serving it with. Any leftovers keep perfectly well in the fridge for a day or two, and the flavour only improves. If I’m making these as a side to a meat dish I’ll typically make the beans up at some stage early in the cooking process, and then just reheat them before serving up – it sounds lazy, but giving them some time to sit makes the sauce a tad thicker and fuller.

 photo 5_BakedBeans_zpsd1125132.jpg


Pictured below is a fuller version of this recipe, but this week's dish was a true pantry-basic, and I just used what was in the house. I used half as many beans as normal, and the result was just a slightly sloppier mixture, but just as tasty.


Serves 4, or 2 with a decent amount of leftovers.
10-15 minutes cooking

1 tin tomatoes (chopped)
1 tin beans (mixed or bortolli work best for me)
1 pinch cayenne pepper
Plenty of pepper and paprika
Dash of Worcestershire sauce.

Put in a pan and cook on a medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes (until beans are all soft and the sauce is thickening). Serve.

 photo 4_bakedbeans2_zpsaab4be66.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment